Thursday, October 7, 2021

Using Self Reflection on Assessments (Ch. 13)

After several weeks of solving equations,
We took a quiz to show off what was learned.
In some cases, the results were dramatic.
Students walked away proud of how their hard work paid off.
For others, my hope is that it was a wake up call.
A call to pay attention,
To take our learning activities seriously,
And to stay engaged.

To help with the self reflection,
We used a navigation tool mentioned in Chapter 13
To chart where our work needed to be for future reteaching lessons,
Students analyzed and reworked the problems on the quiz,
And made notes using the notations outlined in the picture.

By charting their progress on paper,
My hope was that they would gain a better picture of their learning.
To be able to see where their strengths were,
And the struggles that still needing ironing out.

I provided answer keys so they could check their work.
I also had them rework the problems on a piece of typing paper folded into 1/8s.
Definitely something we will continue to do.

I collected their charts, quizzes, and work (stapled together),
So we could do a comparison after our second quiz next week. 
My hope is that if they can start to see some progress,
It will continue to encourage a stronger work ethic in the classroom.

Observations:
Unlike some learning activities that I implement,
This was went better than I had even expected.
By "priming the pump" with my favorite mistakes,
Students were ready to analyze their own quizzes to figure out where they went wrong.
The conversations I heard in their groups,
Made my heart bubble over.
They truly wanted to know their mistakes.
They were taking ownership in their learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment