Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Becoming Habit

Today was the first day that I introduced what we were doing...
...catching up on unfinished business...
and when I set everyone free to get working,
it moved like a well oiled machine.
I didn't have to say anything. 
Students regrouped in their groups from yesterday.
They went to the vertical white boards.
As I took attendance and deleted assignment emails,
I sat and listened to the wonderful sounds coming from the students in my classroom.
I heard conversations about the steps of solving an algebraic equation.
I heard explanations.
I heard questions.

Yesterday when I announced when I announced we would be working at the boards,
One class actually cheered.
And then they got to work.

While both of these stories make it sound like its all sunshine and roses in here,
I will assure you that we have our exceptions.
Some students still have a hard time staying focused.
Some students still try to have other students do all the work.

But on the flip side,
I see students trading the marker so other students can give it a try.
I see encouragement.
I. See. Thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment