Thursday, October 21, 2021

No Grades and Answer Keys (Ch. 7)

Remember back in the day, the answers in the back of the text book?
Only the odds, but it felt like such a gift to be given the answers to half of the problems!

Now, I post the answer keys most of the time.
Especially for individual practice.
Students have the answer sheet right in front of them.
At first, many just copied or said they were going to copy.
I gave them permission to do so
After reminding them that our goal was for them to learn the material.
If copying was how they were going to do it,
They could show me how much they learned on the upcoming quiz.

Now, two months into the school year,
Students are busy working out problems,
And THEN checking their work.
No more copying.  
If they are stuck, I see them consult the answer key.
I literally see them thinking through what they are reading.
And then they get back to work.

I'm telling you, 
This "no grades" thing has been the best thing I've ever implemented.
Students are working problems FOR THE RIGHT REASONS.
To learn the material.
Not to just get the assignment done!

No comments:

Post a Comment