Friday, July 21, 2023

Visible Learning Meets BTC - Ch. 9 - Relationships

Relationships are important.
Even in learning.
The stronger the relationship,
The stronger the learning.  

Having high expectations,
for ALL students
is also important.

Believe ALL students can learn,
is essential.

This is one of my deepest philosophies,
wrapped up nicely in one chapter.
At the beginning of each year,
We work on creating our learning environment.
Through this process, 
Relationships are built,
Expectations are shared,
And students, hopefully, start to believe that they too, can learn math!

My promise to my students is I will always be watching and listening to them.
As I gather information from them,
I can better prepare for the next day's lesson,
Or even change midstream if the need should allow.

I am also passionate about math education
which in part, I hope, is passed along to the students.
There is so many aspects in the learning of math
That carries forward into life.
I want my students to see that.

The Checklist:
Take stock of the expectations you have for students.
1) FISH Philosophy! expectations - Focus on Attitude, Interject Fun, Serve Others, and Here and Now
2) VWB expectations - Share the marker, Work together, Try new approaches, Use others' boards when you get stuck, Be kind
3) Mistakes are valuable...they are the only way we learn
4) Pay Attention and Do Your Work


No comments:

Post a Comment