Thursday, June 2, 2022

Ch 5 Reflection - How We Answer Questions

I will be honest,
Some days my answering student questions is better than other days.
And it may depend on how much time was allotted for the problem.
The more time allotted for struggle, the better my questions.

I did see more keep-thinking questions as we went through the year.
Especially when it came to thin-slicing.
They always wanted another problem to try.
I also heard questions such as, "would this work with negative numbers?"

To try to keep students thinking my go-to questions centered around the following list.
"What do you think of this answer?"
"Why do you believe it is correct?"
"Will this always be true?"

I also did the walk away method quite often.
Or I would position myself in the middle of the room,
Simply watching and listening,
Before starting my rounds.

Things to remember for next year.
Respond to Is-It-Right-Questions with 
"Me telling you that it is right is worth almost nothing. 
If you can tell me that it is right, however, that is worth everything."

This is such an important piece of all the strategies,
That this short reflection is a surprise to me. 
However, with having a discovery classroom prior to this,
This type of questioning students was already in place. 
By having six whiteboards going, 
The questions I asked were more specific to each small group,
Essentially moving thinking even farther.  

No comments:

Post a Comment