Tuesday, February 8, 2022

When the Class Moves the Discussion

As I create my math lesson each day,
I know where we are going with the content.
I also have a pretty good idea of where the struggle will happen.
I allow this struggle,
As the learning that follows is super rich.

But then there are days like today,
Where the magic happens.
Today the students took the lesson 
And went farther than I thought we could go in a day.
I didn't even suggest this route.
I just watched it all unfold on the boards.

The lesson started out with me giving them two points.  (9,6) and (3,5).
We had discovered the formula for how to find slope the day before.
Today we were going to thin-slice the concept, starting with positive whole numbers and positive slopes,
Before moving to negative numbers and negative slopes.
However, with just this one problem, 
I could see quickly as one group collaborated around board #3,
That my lesson was going to take a different perspective.


My lesson was going to cover not only how to find slope,
But where that slope is found in a table of values.
How fractions work in a table of values,
Simplifying fractions,
Adding fractions,
How fractions work in y=mx+b,
And how these points are on the graph.

So many connections.
So many relationships.
So much new learning.
So much review of concepts needed to minimize gaps.  

One problem.
One group of students thinking.
One lesson made better by genuine engagement.

No comments:

Post a Comment