Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Thin-Slicing Hits the Spot!

While I sit here on this beautiful snow day,
I have time to reflect on yesterday's lesson.
It was based around another form of thin slicing.
Students worked at boards to demonstrate understanding of all the representations:
Story in words, 
Graph,
Table,
and Equation
for new car situations.

Each problem described the situation with just one of the representations.

As students progressed through the problems,
(I started with the story in words, then gave out a problem with just the table, 
before allowing them to tackle a problem from just the equation),
I was able to hone in on specific items for each group, such as
--> drawing precise graphs
--> using the table to check your graph
--> making sure direction of the graph is included in the equation

To begin work on fluency,
we traded out the car situations for savings account situations,
before going strictly to the most abstract,
naked numbers with no story attached.

What I heard when I introduced just the naked number problems,
Was students tying it back to a car situation or savings account.
They were adding the story to it to attach it to their original learning!  

Making math accessible is something I strive for every day.
To help do this, visualization is essential.
And yesterday's thin-slicing lesson had it in spades!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment