Monday, June 12, 2023

Visible Learning Meets BTC - Ch 1: I Am An Evaluator of my Impact on Learning

At first, it I will admit it seemed a little strange to focus on MY IMPACT on student learning.  Shouldn't the focus be on student learning.  But after reading, it is the impact that I have that will ultimately affect what the students learn.  I am the designer of the lesson.  I create the learning experience.  I choose the instructional strategy.  

So how do I make my impact on student learning visible?

With BTC (Building Thinking Classrooms), student learning is VERY visible on the VWBs (vertical white boards).  On CYU (Check Your Understanding) days, when students are working more independently at the tables, it takes longer to not only check in with each student but to see their work to see their thinking.  When we are at the VWBs, I can easily catch misconceptions and do either of the following for immediate feedback...
     1) Small Group Feedback - If only one group is struggling with a concept, we can easily have a quick conversation on the mistake or misconception that was displayed on their board.  With the mobility of learning utilized in the BTC approach, other groups can learn from these mistakes as well by looking/using the thinking of another group.
     2) Whole Group Feedback - There are times when most/all groups seem to struggle with a concept or moving forward when at the VWBs.  Going group to group is an inefficient use of time, with many students left spinning their wheels as they wait for feedback.  In this case, we refocus as a whole group.
       a) Students can ask questions whole group to get back on track
       b) The teacher can ask a question that ties to the misconception or the struggle.
       c) If thin-slicing, the teacher can provide another example that is not at the same difficulty stage of the one the groups are stumped on.  

Using This Information to Plan the Next Lesson

This just occurs naturally to me.  When a day's lesson is complete, I reflect on the learning that I've witnessed.  So when looking ahead, I immediately start the monologue of...
      Are students ready for this next lesson?  
      What adjustments do I need to make to make the lesson accessible/more challenging to students?
      Is a different instructional strategy needed?  Which strategy will be most beneficial to my students?
      What misconceptions/hurdles do I foresee the students stumbling on?

Intervention Phase
I'm not sure if I'm totally understanding this.  Are interventions the same thing as instructional strategies?  For example, if I'm wanting to make sure students are understanding new vocabulary, would an intervention be to draw what they see when I say the "designated vocab word"?  This would give me feedback, make learning visible, and also give visuals for students to attach meaning to the new vocab word.  

Using Formative Evaluation to Make Learning Visible
Ideas that I've already brainstormed in my BTC Year 2 Reflection.  
  1. Exit Tickets
  2. Favorite Mistake
  3. Create a sticky note graph on VWB
    1. Concepts "mastered"
    2. Concepts still struggling with
    3. Questions
  4. This, That or the Other - Create a Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced problem.  Students pick the hardest problem that they believe they can successfully complete.  
  5. Notes for My Future Forgetful Self
    1. What are the students including in their notes that they have learned?
    2. What are they excluding?
    3. What questions are they writing down in place of notes?
  6. Quiz Rubrics (this would be more of a Summative Evaluation) - students can see where their strengths and weaknesses are based on the quiz they just took
  7. Check Your Understanding Accountability - when students complete a Check Your Understanding on their own, have them report in an exit ticket how many correct out of how many completed.  This will give feedback to both the student and the teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment