Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Learning Retention

So this year I've gotten my students thinking more.
Plus, we are using rough draft thinking as a stepping stone in our learning,
But when I measure what my students are retaining from all our learning,
We are not where we need to be yet.

I shared this data with my students last week.
We noticed that the fall scores (blue bars) tended towards the upper percentages.
While the spring scores (red bars) tended towards the lower percentages.
When I asked students what this meant,
The looks on their faces said it all.
They weren't remembering what they were learning!

Today, we looked at just their retention during the Functions unit.
This is a large unit covering the five function standards, slope, and proportional relationships.
And we still have more to go...non-linear functions and bivariate data.
The data is showing the same slipping of holding on to this new learning.

So I started researching.
I'm including these websites to reference when I have time.
But will continue looking for more strategies to help my students.
May need to focus on the revisiting part.  While test trainer revisits all the concepts in a spiral, there is no reteaching during this unless a student looks it up.
Would be interesting to compare McCurdy's students average with the non-McCurdy students to see if more exposure is helping.

Focusing on the forgetting curve and the ideas suggested in this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment