Friday, September 10, 2021

Checking for Understanding (Ch. 7) Implementation

Today was Check-Your-Understanding day.
With the testing partitions in place
To help with individual thinking,
We went over the directions for what the day would look like.

"The assignment today is strictly for you to check your understanding on this new material.
It is NOT for a grade.
You will work out the problems and then check them at the answer keys taped around the classsroom.
You may check your work at any given point.

To help you get an idea of your understanding,
For every correct answer, mark it with a checkmark.
For every incorrect answer, mark it with an X
If you were able to correct your thinking with the help of the answer key, mark it with an H.
Finally, if you needed a group member to help you talk through it, mark it with a G.

Observations:
1. Some students were like popcorn...jumping up every now and then to check their work.
2. Some had a hard time even starting.  For these students, we talked about taking a risk to get something down on paper.  If it was wrong, it was okay.  This wasn't for a grade.  We could easily correct it and work on understanding it.
3. Some students still wanted my help, my assurance.  Using what I learned in Chapter 5, after giving the instructions, I walked away from the class, allowing them to get into the problems and removing myself as that automatic person for proximity questions.  When students did have questions, I would either answer with a question and walk away again with a smile and an affirmative "you can do this" statement. I need to work on my Keep Thinking questions.  Keep Thinking questions are those questions that are asked when students start to struggle.  I think my questions are too leading as far as cues and hints go.  Will need to reread Chapter 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment