Monday, July 19, 2021

Building Thinking Classrooms: Ch 14 - How We Grade

Whoa.
There is a lot to think about in this chapter.
And I'm probably going to need to reread it again.
And maybe a third time.
Grading is outcome-based then event-based (which is how I've been grading).
With my quizzes being the event.

Question 1
What are some of the things in this chapter that immediately feel correct?
I like the triangulation of data from Observations, Conversation, and Product. I also like that the same evaluation tool from Basic to Advance can be used with some modifications to the coding.

Question 2
In the FAQ I distinguished between grade inflation and grade deflation. Which do you think is the bigger problem?
I would probably have to say grade deflation.  Particularly if completion is a grade that is taken.  
Also, in a growth minded classroom, we want to show the overall growth...where they end up.

Question 3
Does outcome-based grading really produce grade inflation?
I think it's a more accurate representation of what they truly know.

Question 4
In this chapter I gave an example of a two-headed monster that exists in some jurisdictions. My experience is that, when it comes to grading, all jurisdictions have a two-headed monster of some kind. What are the two-headed monsters you have to live with?
This has been where I've struggled when researching SBG.  How to convert it to the Powerschool Gradebook????  A preschool checklist of skills mastered would be so much easier, which is where my progress charts come into play.  

IDEA...how to convert the progress charts to encompass these ideas???

Question 5
Can you think of some students for whom giving only the first page of a test could be beneficial? In what ways would it benefit them?
Oh definitely.  The students that are easily overwhelmed would benefit from knowing they only need to complete the basic part.  Then have the option for the Intermediate part.

Question 6
Can you think of some students for whom not writing the test could be beneficial?  In what ways would it benefit them?
Those with test anxieties would totally benefit from observational or conversation type assessments.

Question 7
Can you think of some ways in which you could introduce collaborative testing into your assessment routines?
This is a tough one for me.  I like to know what each student knows.  I would have to do more thinking on how to incorporate collaboration in a assessment setting.  Hmmm???

Question 8
What are some of the challenges you anticipate you will experience in implementing the strategies suggested in this chapter? What are some of the ways to overcome these?
Time to make all the notations for every student!

No comments:

Post a Comment