Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Building Thinking Classrooms: Ch 3 - Where Students Work

Vertical Non-Permanent Surfaces
Yes.
YES!
YESSSSSS!!!!

I love love love this idea.
Now to figure out how to incorporate it into my classroom.

One marker per group.
Subtly rotate the marker.
Teacher has different colored marker.

Use numbers to match random groupings
So groups know where to go.

Question 1
What are some of the things in this chapter that immediately feel correct?
As mentioned above, I love the idea of vertical boards.  I had thought about simply removing the chairs and having the boards on the table, but if vertical surfaces produce more thinking, I bet I can make it work.

I have always loved when we use whiteboards to show our thinking, and already have five large boards in my room.  These could be incorporated propped up in various areas of my room.

Question 2
What must change in your room in order for you to gain the wall space necessary to get all of your students working on a VNPs?
If I could find extra classroom-sized whiteboards to prop up on my counters, I could easily gain enough vertical space for all the thinking that's going to go on.

I could use one of the small table whiteboards to put my calendar items on each day, freeing up the one large whiteboard in my classroom for two groups.

Question 3
Which strategy for moving the marker around did you like the best and why?
I liked the strategy "never write down your own thoughts".  This will increase communication and collaboration.  I also like subtly moving the marker to a different student after visiting each group.

Question 4
In this chapter, you read about the notebook as a catchall -- the place where we default to having students do their work. Think about all the different types of things you ask students to do in their notebooks. Which of these, other than doing thinking tasks, can you imagine having your students doing on VNPs?
Things we use notebooks for...
--> Notes
--> Practice - some could be on the boards
--> Examples - students make up their own examples
--> Reflections

Pictures of boards/thoughts that students want to save could be taken, printed off and put in notebooks.

Question 5
What else happens in your classroom that can be enhanced by having the students work on a VNPS?
The data/computation piece could be done on VNPS.  As a whole class, we could watch and discuss the Immersion piece before moving to the D/C piece on the whiteboards.

Question 6
What are some of the challenges you anticipate you will experience in implementing the strategies suggested in this chapter? What are some of the ways to overcome these?
Excessive talking?? Establish expectations and goals.  Be consistent.
Copying?? Keep track when this is happening and see if it decreases as students become more confident.

No comments:

Post a Comment